Do you wear your seatbelt?
Lately, I have noticed with increasing frequency the number of people who do not wear a seatbelt. You can see them dangling beside the vehicle occupants. I don’t know the reasons why people don’t wear them. So, I Googled and found these to be the most common reasons (courtesy of National Highway Traffic Safety Administration):
- Seat belts mess up my clothes
- I have airbags
- They are uncomfortable
- People get trapped in a burning car
- My parents never wore them
- They get my clothes dirty
- I don’t believe there should be a seat belt law
- I’m a good driver
But the reality is, seat belts do save lives. They really do, and that’s why all cars are equipped with them and that’s why there is a law requiring their use. Buckle up please. It’s a small gesture. Just do it.